The sun is finally getting out and luscious English strawberries are appearing in the shop. Strawberry Season has started!
- 400g Strawberries, hulled and thickly sliced
- 10g Gelatine
- 4 Tbsp water
- 5ml Lemon Juice
- 150g Caster Sugar
- 250ml Double Cream, whipped
- Strawberries to decorate
- Put the gelatine in a small bowl with the water and leave to soften.
- Mash the strawberries in a small pan then add the lemon juice and sugar.
- Bring this mixture to the boil, take off the heat and pass through a strainer.
- Add the softened gelatine and stir until well mixed and completely dissolved.
- Fold in the whipped cream and pour into a 1 1/4 litre ring mould.
- Place into the refrigerator to set.
- When set turn out of the mould and decorate with strawberries and/or whipped cream.
As an alternative raspberries may be used or a mixture of strawberries, raspberries and redcurrants.
This is a great recipe for strawberries that are a bit soft and over ripe
For vegetarians, carageen or a vegetarian gelatine subsitute should be used; available from health food stores and larger supermarkets