Strawberry & Orange Meringue Roulade with Strawberry Sauce
Roulades make an elegant dessert and are not as difficult as you may think. This recipe is even low on fat than the usual roulade recipes as it contains low fat yoghurt and is served with a fruit sauce instead of cream!
- 3 Egg Whites, large
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 1 lev tsp Cornflour
- 1 tsp Malt Vinegar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Orange, grated zest and juice
- 400g Strawberries, ripe, hulled and sliced
- 500g Low Fat Greek Yoghurt
- 1-2 tbsp Icing Sugar
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 2, 130C
- Line a 33 x 23cm Swiss roll tin with non stick parchment.
- Whisk the whites in a large bowl until stiff but not dry.
- Gradually whisk in the caster sugar until the mixture is thick and shiny.
- Finally whisk in the cornflour, vinegar, extract and orange zest.
- Bake 25-30 mins until the surface is golden and just firm.
- Remove from the oven and cover with a clean damp tea towel for 10 mins.
- Place a length of non stick baking parchment on the work surface. Turn the roulade onto this and spread with yoghurt.
- Scatter over half of the strawberries and use the edge of the paper to roll it up and place on a serving plate.
- Liquidise the remaining strawberries with the orange juice and pass through a sieve to remove seeds. For a sweeter sauce use icing sugar.
- Serve the roulade in slices, accompanied by the strawberry sauce.
In the winter a large ripe mango could be used instead of strawberries
What do you do with the left over egg yolks? They can be frozen in a very small dish to exclude drying out or alternatively use them within 24hrs in scrambled egg, egg custard sauce or mayonnaise.
This recipe is from Healthy Heart Best Kept Secrets of the Women's Institute by Elspeth Smith published by Simon & Schuster in 2005 ISBN 0 64325 978 5Place the mixture in the prepared tin, spread it out and level gently.