Panna Cotta Fig Flans
All the smooth creamy texture of panna cotta but set within wafer thin tartlet cases and served with fresh figs macerated in pastis.
Preparation: 35 minutes + 2 hours chilling + cooling
Plus: Cooking time: 9-10 minutes
- 125g chilled Filo Pastry
- 25g Butter, melted
- 1 Gelatine sheet
- 150ml Double Cream
- 50ml Milk
- 40g Caster Sugar
- a few strands of Saffron or 3-4 drops of Vanilla Extract
- grated zest of 1 Orange
- 100g Greek Yogurt
- 2 fresh Figs
- 2 tsps Icing Sugar
- 4 tbps Orange Juice
- 6 tbsps Red Grape Juice
- 2 tsps Pastis, such as Pernod
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Put six individual tartlet tins on a baking sheet.
- Cut each sheet of filo pastry into four rectangles and keep them covered with a clean tea towel while working.
- Using half the pastry, drape the rectangles in layers to cover the base and sides of the tins, brushing very lightly with melted butter between each one.
- Repeat with the remaining pastry to make six shallow tartlets.
- Bake for 9-10 mins until pale golden and crisp. Cool for 10 minutes then set aside.
- Halve the gelatine, place in a bowl and cover with cold water. Leave for 5 minutes to soften.
- Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan, add the sugar, saffron or vanilla extract and orange zest.
- Bring slowly to the boil, stirring. Off the heat gradually whisk in the Greek yogurt.
- Squeeze the gelatine to extract the water and stir into the cream mixture until dissolved.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes then pour into the pastry cases.
- Chill for 2 hours until set.
- Meanwhile, slice the figs and place in a shallow bowl.
- Put the icing sugar, orange juice, grape juice and pastis in a small saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Bubble until syrupy then leave to cool.
- Pour the cooled syrup over the figs and set aside until needed.
- To serve, ease the tartlets out of the tins. Spoon a little of the fig mixture on top of each one and serve immediately.
The tartlets are just as good served with a mixture of chopped fresh fruit
This recipe is from Perfect Pies and Tarts by Moyra Fraser and published by Simon & Schuster in 2011 ISBN 978-0-85720-355-7 priced £9.99
For a complete list of all WI recipe books please send a sae to WI Enterprises 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY