An elegant yet easy dessert to create for a dinner menu. Try adding 4 teaspoons instant espresso powder (not instant coffee granules) mixed in with the sugar for a hazelnut coffee meringue.
- 4 egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 120g hazelnuts, ground and browned in the oven
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- 150ml double cream
- Few drops vanilla extract
- Icing sugar
- 8 hazelnuts for decoration
- Draw 2 x 20cm circles in pencil on baking paper and place on baking sheets.
- Set oven to Gas 5 / 190C / 170C fan.
- Whisk the egg whites stiffly then gradually beat in the sugar, adding one teaspoon at a time.
- Continue to whisk and add the vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Lastly fold in the hazelnuts.
- Divide equally and spread over the 2 prepared circles.
- Bake for 30 - 40 mins until pale golden.
- Remove from the paper and allow to cool completely.
- Spread whipped cream over one meringue, then sandwich the other meringue on top.
- Dust with icing sugar or decorate with piped cream and some roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts.
- Serve immediately.
When making meringue, use fresh eggs at room temperature for best results. It is also worth weighing out the sugar an hour or so in advance and allowing it to come to room temperature if it has been stored in a cool cupboard.