Cranberry & Hazelnut Fudge
Fruit and nut fudge - what could be better for a Christmas treat, especially when cranberries are a seasonal treat
- 325g Granulated Sugar
- 150ml Evaporated Milk
- 50ml Double Cream
- 60g Butter, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 100g Dried Cranberries
- 25g Hazelnuts
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Line a 15cm-square baking tin with foil or parchment.
- Combine the sugar, evaporated milk, cream, butter and salt in a large heavy-based pan
- Slowly bring to the boil, then boil quite briskly. Reduce the heat to a good simmer for 20 mins.
- Stir to prevent burning, until the mixture reaches a soft-ball stage; 115C on a sugar thermometer. This is when a tiny amount dropped from a spoon forms a soft ball when dropped into a glass of cold water
- Remove the pan from the heat immediately and pour the mixture into a glass or ceramic mixing bowl and with an electric whisk, beat well for 5 – 10mins until the fudge starts to look grainy and thicken
- Stir in the cranberries, hazelnuts and vanilla extract, then pour the mixture into the lined tin
- Leave to cool and then transfer to the fridge.
- Chill for at least 2 hours before cutting it into small squares.
A special recipe created for WI members by Diane Sanderson NFWI Home Economics Adviser