Apple Shortbread Slice
This is so yummy, simple to make and so versatile. Serve as a pudding or as a fruity cake/biscuit for elevenses with coffee
Other fruits or a mixture of fruits can also be used. Fruits such as damsons, blackberries, apricots, plums etc will be perfect
- 340g Plain Flour
- 125g Caster Sugar
- 225g Butter
- 50ml Milk
- 425g Apple or mixed fruits – cooked, sweetened and drained
- Line a 20cm square cake tin with non-stick baking paper
- Set oven at Gas 4, 180°C.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour and sugar and then rub in the butter.
- Stir in enough milk to bring the mixture together.
- Divide the mixture into 2 and press ½ into the bottom of the tin.
- Spoon over the drained, sweetened fruit before adding the remaining shortbread mix.
- Bake for 30 minutes. It is cooked when the skewer comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and then mark into 12 pieces.
- Best refrigerated for up to 2 days if not eaten.Alternatively freeze pieces that are not eaten