A traditionally griddled cake, sweet and fruity.
- 225g Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch Salt
- 1/4 tsp Mixed Spice
- 100g Margarine or Butter
- 75 to 100g Sugar
- 100g Currants
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Little Milk
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and spice in a large bowl.
- Rub in the margarine/butter then mix in the sugar and currants.
- Bind with the egg and a little milk to make a stiff consistency (like shortcrust pastry)
- Roll out to about 5mm thick and cut into rounds.
- Cook on a griddle or hot plate/frying pan until golden brown, then turn over and cook the other side.
From the WI Book of "650 Favourite Recipes" published by Treasure Press in 1989.