A summer favourite when sweet British strawberries are at their very best.
Use a 375 g pack of ready-made chilled dessert pastry if you wish.
Preparation: 35 minutes + 30 minutes chilling + cooling
Plus: Cooking time: 17-25 minutes
- 1 quantity Sweet Flan Pastry (375g)
- 140 ml Double Cream
- 2 teasp Icing Sugar
- 75 g Mascarpone
- 400g Small fresh Strawberries, hulled and halved
- about 12 large Blueberries (optional)
- 2 Passion Fruit
- about 150g Redcurrant Jelly
- Put a baking sheet in the oven and preheat to 200°C/Gas Mark 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to about 3 mm thick, then use it to line a 34 x 11.5 cm loose-based tranche tin.
- Prick the base with a fork and pop in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Line the pastry case with a sheet of foil, pressing it gently into the curves of the tin and folding it down carefully over the outside.
- Fill the case with baking beans and bake on the baking sheet for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the foil and beans and bake for a further 5-10 minutes, or until completely dried out and golden brown.
- If necessary, use a little beaten egg to brush over any cracks and return to the oven for 2-3 minutes to seal.
- Leave to cool in the tin.
- Lightly whip the cream with the icing sugar and gradually fold it into the mascarpone until smooth. Spoon into the pastry case.
- Pile the strawberries on top of the cream with the blueberries, if using. Halve the passion fruit, scoop out the pulp and sieve to extract the juice.
- Warm the redcurrant jelly with the passion fruit juice, stirring until smooth. Bring to the boil and brush the hot jelly over the fruit.
- Keep in a cool place until needed.
Serve the tart within 3 hours of completion or the creamy filling will soften the pastry too much.
Any mixture of berries can be used, e.g. raspberries, strawberries and blueberries. Just keep the total weight the same.
This recipe is from Perfect Pies and Tarts by Moyra Fraser and published by Simon & Schuster in 2011 ISBN 978-0-85720-355-7
For a complete list of all WI recipe books please send a sae to WI Enterprises, 104 New King's Road, London SW6 4LY