Strawberry Meringue Cake
A fairly simple but spectacular summer dessert.
Serves: 4 - 6
- 5 egg whites
- 300g Caster Sugar
For the Filling
- 450g Strawberries
- 450ml Double Cream
- Line 3 baking sheets with non stick paper and draw a 23cm circle on each
- Whisk the egg whites stiffly, then whisk in 1 tablespoon of sugar
- Fold in the rest lightly
- Pile a third of the meringue into a forcing bag with a star tube and pipe a trellis on one circle, outlining the edge with stars
- Divide the rest of the meringue between the other two sheets, spreading it equally
- Dust with icing sugar and bake for 2 hrs at 130C Gas 1/2, reducing the temperature as low as you can after 30 - 40 minutes
- For the filling, cut large fruit into half, place in a bowl and sprinkle with sugar
whisk the cream until thick then set aside a quarter for decoration.
- Set a little of the fruit for decoration and then fold the rest of the cream into the fruit
- Layer up the cake on a serving plate putting the trellis carefully on top.
- Decorate with the remaining fruit and cream
Once the cake is assembled the meringue will start to soften. If you wish to prepare before hand, store the meringues without the filling in air tight boxes. If the meringues are dry they will keep for about a week
Other fruit in season, may be used instead of strawberries e.g. raspberries, pineapples or white peaches