- 125g butter
- 250g plain flour
- 1 medium egg
- 2tbsp cold water
- Cube the butter and place into a food processor bowl with the plain flour and icing sugar (if using) and pulse until the butter has crumbled down.
- Add the egg and the water and continue pulsing until the pastry comes together.
- Press the mixture into a disc and wrap with clingfilm. Chill in a fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes before using.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured work surface to the thickness of a £1 coin.
- Line tart tin with the pastry and leave to rest for a minimum of 30 mins.
- Line pastry case with baking parchment and fill with baking beans, then bake at 180°C/360°F for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the baking beans and parchment, then trim the sides of the case if necessary. Return to the oven for a further 3 minutes to brown the base.
Tip: Watch Kelly Mauger make shortcrust pastry in our short skills video section.