- 225g self-raising Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- pinch of Salt
- 50g Margarine
- 50g Granulated Sugar
- 1 medium-sized Cooking Apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 150ml of Milk
- some Milk
- 25g Demerara Sugar
- Heat the oven to 2000C mark 6.
- Lightly grease a baking tray. Sieve the flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar. Stir the apple into the mixture. Mix together, using a fork, with sufficient milk to give a soft, but not sticky, dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface then roll out to a circle, about 20cm in diameter. Place on a lightly greased baking tray and mark into eight wedges. Brush the top with milk and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until well risen, golden and firm to the touch. Place on a cooling rack.