Apple and Blackberry Pie
Apple and blackberries cook well together to make a fruity juicy dessert. A good choice for autumn meals.
- 250g Shortcrust Pastry, either home made or ready made
- 500g Cooking Apples, peeled and sliced
- 250g Blackberries or Brambles, washed
- 50g Sugar, Granulated
- Divide the pastry into 2 and roll out to fit a 18cm ovenproof plate, base and top.
- Simmer the peeled, sliced apples and brambles for a few minutes in a pan to soften, then sprinkle in the sugar.
- Cool the fruit then pour into the pastry lined plate.
- Brush the edge of the pastry and place on the pastry top, securing the edge by pinching together with finger and thumb.
- Use the excess pastry to make a decoration for the top.
- Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg and make a slit to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake in a fairly hot oven, Gas 6 200°C for 20 mins and then reduce to Gas 4 175°C.
- Serve with custard, cream or ice cream.
Other fruit can be used instead of blackberries, if they are not available, such as raspberries, rhubarb etc. It is a way to use small amounts of fruit that are available.