Whip up a tea time treat with our tried-and-tested recipe.
- 125g block margarine
- 450g self-raising flour
- 100g caster sugar
- 200ml milk
- 1 medium egg
- Baking tray
- Baking parchment
- Scone cutters
- 1 pastry brush
- Preheat the oven to 200◦C/ gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Crumb together the margarine and the flour in a bowl/food processor or free standing mixer using the paddle attachment.
- Once the crumbs are fine, mix in the fruit (if using) and the sugar.
- Gradually add the milk and mix the dough together until it is just combined.
- Roll out the scone dough onto a floured work surface, to the height of the cutter you will be using and stamp out the scones, applying even pressure.
- Place the scones onto the prepared baking tray and brush the tops with beaten egg.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and sound hollow when tapped from underneath.
Recipe by Kelly Mauger, Cookery Tutor at the WI Cookery School, Denman College.