Hot cross bun and butter pudding
What better way to round off your Easter meal than with a bread and butter pudding made with hot cross buns?
- 6 hot cross buns (slightly stale are better!)
- 30g butter
- 1 orange – zest only
- 4 eggs (medium)
- 200ml double cream
- 500ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 75g sugar
- 3 tbsp chunky marmalade
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/ gas mark 3.
- Cut the buns in half and spread with butter. Layer the bases of the buns into an ovenproof dish and grate over the orange zest. Add the tops.
- Warm the milk and cream, remove from the heat and add the eggs, sugar and vanilla, whisk well. (Be careful not to overheat the milk or the eggs will scramble.)
- Pour the milk mix over the top of the buns and leave to soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Spoon the marmalade over the top of the buns.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until well risen and set.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve warm with cream.