Speak up Lobby
Speak Up lobby of Parliament – 17 June 2015
WI members teamed up with over 10,000 people including surfers, farmers, anglers, bee keepers and church groups to speak up for the people and places that they love that are under threat from climate change.
In what was the largest ever climate lobby of Parliament, people from across the UK travelled to London to call on MPs to tackle climate change and deliver 100 per cent clean, safe energy by 2050.
Thousands waited patiently in queues stretching along the banks of the river Thames and across Lambeth Bridge to talk to their MPs about the need for strong leadership and urgent action to protect people and nature.
Ready with stunning arrays of bunting illustrating the things we love and don't want to lose to climate change, WI members and climate campaigners made clear that now is the time to act.
Amber Rudd, Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change, met with Climate Coalition campaigners including WI member, Susan Jonas who told Amber about the WI's concern about the threats posed by the changing climate to essential pollinators, like bees. Amber responded to the day's call for strong government leadership by welcoming the efforts of campaigners to ensure tackling climate change remained at the top of the political agenda. Speaking at an evening reception following the lobby, she reiterated the Government's commitment to achieving an ambitious and legally binding deal in Paris, "This is a national issue, not a party issue…we have a shared responsibility to take action."
- Whether or not you were able to join in, you can still take part in WI campaigns. Sign up for our WI member campaign newsletters by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We've been collecting stories and photographs from the day which we'll be sharing with you on facebook, twitter and the WI blog
- Fill in The Climate Coalition's short supporter survey to let us know what you thought of the day.
Thank you to everyone that took part. What an amazing day!134541
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department