Agricultural Show Committee:
Chairman Pam Stoddart
“Have you ever worn our green and white striped apron at the County Show held at the Newark Showground?. No? Well please do come and join us in the Federation’s biggest event of the year. If you work as a helper, you receive a free all-day entry ticket for the Show and Tea/coffee and cake. We only ask for 3 hours of your time on either Saturday 12 or Sunday 13 May. Everyone enjoys their involvement and you make new WI friends in the process. So, come on please try it and send in the Steward Form as soon as you can.
- In the WI Marquee (next to the Members area) there will be a take away refreshment bar selling drinks, sandwiches and cake, unfortunately we are not allowed to have a seating area. You can be sure that all our refreshments are homemade! Country Markets will have their cakes, bakes and preserves to sell and there will also be a Craft stall.
- The WI Exhibition for this year is based on ‘The 3R’s, Reclaim, Recycle and Re-use’. Itis to display a craft item, collage and a floral arrangement using only recycled materials. We hope your WI have entered and are busy preparing your entry.
- The Individual competition for members is to make a cushion cover, again using only reclaimed and recycled materials. The closing date for all entries is Tuesday 24 April. All items for the competition should be taken to the WI marquee on Friday 11 May between 8.30 am to 10 am. The WI Exhibition can be staged between 8.30am and 4.00pm. Full details of the competition and WI Exhibition are available from your WI secretary or you can download entry forms at www.thewi.org.uk/notts link to County Office and downloads.
- The Show is a very good way to advertise the WI and demonstrate to the public what we can do. So please do come and support us and we look forward to meeting many of you at the Show.
County Show report 2017
The Notts County Show at the Newark Showground has now come and gone for another year. Everything has been packed away at County House and all those involved can start to relax, which on a personal note means catching up with the washing and cleaning at home! One of our responsibilities is to provide refreshments over the whole weekend for the Show members in the Sir Stuart Goodwin Hall. This is working well and we have a good working relationship with the Show committee who have been very helpful in arranging the facilities for us to use.
- The WI Marquee had a take-away tea, cake and sandwich area. The WI Exhibition area, display of competitions, a Craft stall, promotional stands which together with the presence of Country Markets helped to show the public the range of WI activities we organise. On display for the first time was the new Archive Banners which display the Nottinghamshire Federation’s past 100 years of history.
- The WI Show Individual classes winners were
Class 1. Jar of Chutney: Elisabeth, Laxton WI
Class 2. Jar of Jelly: Elisabeth, Laxton WI
Class 3. 6 Assorted sweets: Elisabeth, Laxton WI
Class 4. A photograph: Christine, Lambley WI
Class 5. A handmade Apron: Lesley, Morton, Rolleston & Fiskerton WI
Class 6. A congratulations card: Elisabeth, Laxton WI
- The ‘Thanks for the Memories’ exhibition looked wonderful and helped to attract the public into the marquee. 23 WIs took part and were asked to display their entry on a 16” base board, to a theme of their choice and to include a Tea Cosy and a family recipe together with other items. There was a wonderful range of Tea cosy’s displaying many different craft ideas – one even looked like a sheep. Well done to everyone and thank you very much for taking part. The Public Choice trophy was awarded to Grove WI, 2nd Eakring WI and 3rd. Dorewood WI.
- The committee and I would like to thank everyone who gave up their time to help steward at the Show; that is serving refreshments, taking orders, clearing tables. The pressure was on this year as we had fewer volunteers than we would have liked but everyone coped superbly well. Without your commitment and support there would be no Show, so a very big thank you to you all. Thanks also go to our Ag Show men who assist us with technical matters, help with the transport and heavy lifting, extra shopping; thanks guys you are just wonderful. The Ag Show team are also grateful to the Federation Trustees and particularly our Chairman, Jane Jefferson, who gives us 100% of her time. The biggest thanks of all goes to all of my committee for working hard the whole week. They all have roles within the team be it Stewards, Team Leaders, Competition and Stall Organisers, the list is endless - you did a great job girls. Finally, a mention of the County House office staff and in particular, Heather, who is secretary to the committee, many thanks to you all.
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department