Women Reaching Women
This is a fantastic opportunity to network with other women’s organisations and share the excellent work that we do to make a difference to the lives of women in Norfolk: Mandy Proctor, CEO Leeway
Sunday March 11th 2018
Mother's day (Mothering Sunday) and International Women's Day combined.
A chance, not only to meet, hear (and shop) with women from many different Norfolk Organisations, but also to get reduced entry rate for you and your family to the Gressenhall Mother's Day event (with a Free Cream Tea for Mums). Please get in touch if your organisation would like a stall, a speaking slot, a space.
BIG WHITE RIBBON
NOVEMBER 25th 2016
We made a Symbol of the commitment of us all to saying #NoToDomesticAbuse, challenging all forms of domestic abuse and sexual violence. A ten-foot-high White Ribbon Totem, featured in The Forum, Norwich. It was made from everyone's individual piece of ribbon
The event closed with a Candlelit Vigil, outside the Forum.
We metthe BWR again on March 8th and during August 2017 archiving began, but phoenix like .... ....
.... ... we think the BWR will rise again! Information coming soon!
"NFWI commissioned research found that women who live in the countryside experience the same levels of violence as women who live in urban areas; however the perception was that violence against women is more common in towns and cities.
“It is important to do something, and it demonstrates the continuing relevance of the WI that they are not just raising awareness, they are taking social action”
Nick Little, Community Engagement Officer, Norwich City Council
Brief History of Women Reaching Women in Norfolk
Convened by Norfolk Federation Women's Institutes, a committee of women representing different community groups from across Norfolk works together on projects of mutual interest. Since 2010 this has included an event for International Women's Day on 8th March each year.
Women Reaching Women has became a well established theme in Norfolk, arising from the NFWI National project 2008-2012 and adopted by the Norfolk Coalition of Women's Groups for events in 2015 to 2017.
In response to a large number of requests from National members to increase international work and projects; in 2008 National Federation of Women's Institutes launched a 3 year international development and women’s rights project, Women Reaching Women in collaboration with Oxfam and funded by DfID. It was a successful National Federation Women's Institutes' campaign from 2008 to 2011.
“Women reaching Women” continued to flourish in Norfolk with more organisations coming to the annual International Women's Day event and a developing partnership. Mother's Union,UEA School of International Development Studies, 4women resource centre, Norfolk County Council, Soroptimists, Neesa, Norwich Dedza.
- 2008 & 2009: Awareness raising in National and Norfolk Federations. (funded by DfID)
- 2010: Building Bridges IWD (International Women's Day) event at Forum, Norwich on 08.03.10. Attendance 40 WI and a few other organisations. (funded by DfID)
- 2011: Celebrating Success IWD event at Forum, Norwich on 04.03.11. “Sold out” at 120 WI and growing number of other organisations. (funded by DfID)
- 2012: Women reaching Water: Water reaching Women IWD event at UEA on 09.03.12. With Water Security Research Centre. (funded by donation of venue, CUE & ticket sales) Attendance 120+ ... approximately 10 other Organisations.
- 2013: Managing on the Margins IWD event funded by sponsorship (John Jarrold Trust, Aviva, NCC and Norwich City Council) and ticket sales. Attendance 140+ ... approximately 20 other Organisations.
- 2014: Shared Earth: Common Ground focussing on the WI “The WI Great Food Debate”, a programme of work to encourage WI members and their communities to explore some of the issues that are impacting the future security of our food supplies, what this will mean in practical terms and how we should go about tackling, and overcoming, these problems.
- 2015: Women reaching Women. In our Centenary Year, Norfolk County Council took over the running of the event and obtained use of the whole of Norwich Forum. The growing coalition of women's groups adopted the title “Norfolk Women Reaching Women, going forwards.
- 2016: Different Stories Different Lives. We understand that about 5,000 people interacted with the event in some way on the day. We have come along way since our first event in 2009 with 40 in the audience. Wendy Adams, our Federation Chairman said “The Norfolk Federation of WIs is overwhelmed to see how something which started out as a relatively small, purely WI initiative, has blossomed over the years. This year in particular it has involved so many other women’s groups and reached such a wide audience it has been a truly rewarding experience.”
- 2017: BREAKING THE SILENCE with Aneeta Prem of the Freedom Charity. Norwich Cathedral, 8th March 2017 This was a very successful coffee morning with an opportunity to meet a range of organisations and to pledge to take action for the United Nation's Sustainable development Goal 5 to "Eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls worldwide". Over 20 organisations were involved and over 300 people came.
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department