Welcome to the Gloucestershire Federation
We have over 5000 WI members in Gloucestershire in 147 WIs stretching from the Cotswolds to the Forest of Dean and from the Severn Vale to the Stroud Valley. You'll find us in all corners of the county, ready to welcome you to our meetings, where fun and friendship mixed with new skills and experiences await you.
The first WI in Gloucestershire was opened in 1916 in Cirencester by Grace Hadow, who wrote much of the Constitution of the WI. Jerusalem has close links with the Federation too, with the music being written by Hubert Parry, a close relative of a founding member of Highnam WI. Today we are a very active Federation with a modern outlook.
- Our Christmas concerts have starred the likes of Aled Jones, Lee Mead, Only Men Aloud and Lesley Garrett.
- We have a WI Racing Club who regularly attend racing at Cheltenham.
- Speakers at our Annual Meeting have recently included Sharron Davies, Toyah Willcox, Adam Henson and Anne Widdecombe.
- We have active committees offering Sport and Leisure, Homes, Crafts and Gardens as well as Public Affairs and a Membership committee
Crafts, holidays and regular walks are high on our agenda, and we take an active part in following the WIs national current affairs campaigns.
Denman College near Abingdon also offers members hundreds of residential courses in crafts, cookery and many other subjects. You can find your nearest WI on the list of WIs on the left hand side of this page or please do not hesitate to contact the County Office which is open Monday to Thursday 9am to 4pm. Our team of Federation Secretary Peter Bryant, assistant Sarah and bookkeeper Jayne are there to help with your enquiries. We look forward to meeting you soon!
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department