Welcome to the Gloucestershire Federation
We will shortly be celebrating the centenary of the Gloucestershire Federation. It was formed in 1919 and has changed much since those early days. We currently have over 5000 WI members in Gloucestershire in 139 WIs stretching from the Cotswolds to the Forest of Dean and from the Severn Vale to the Stroud Valley. We are ready to welcome you to our meetings, to inspire you to meet new friends and new challenges.
The first WI in Gloucestershire was opened in 1916 in Cirencester by Grace Hadow, who wrote much of the Constitution of the WI. Jerusalem has close links with the Federation too, with the music being written by Hubert Parry, a close relative of a founding member of Highnam WI. Today we are a very active Federation with a modern outlook.
- We have a WI Racing Club who regularly attend racing at Cheltenham.
- Speakers at our Annual Meeting have recently included Sharron Davies, Toyah Willcox, Adam Henson and Lucy Worsley.
- Our Christmas concerts have attracted the likes of Laura Wright, Aled Jones, Lesley Garrett and Wynne Evans.
- We have very busy committees offering Sport and Leisure, Homes, Crafts and Gardens as well as Public Affairs and a Membership committee.
We have monthly walks in various parts of the county, a wide programme of crafts and activities, holidays and visits to a wide range of locations, both historical and of general interest. We take an active part in following the WIs public affairs campaigns.
Denman College near Abingdon also offers members hundreds of residential courses in crafts, cookery and many other subjects. You can find your nearest WI on the list of WIs on the left hand side of this page or please do not hesitate to contact the County Office which is open Monday 9am to 1.30 pm, Tuesday and Wednesday 9am to 4pm and Thursday by arrangement. Our team of Federation Secretary Lindsay Gow, assistant secretary Yvonne and bookkeeper Jayne are there to help with your enquiries. We look forward to meeting you soon!
NFWI news & events
Contact the NFWI
- Phone: 020 7371 9300
- Open hours: 9am–5pm Mon–Fri
- Address: 104 New Kings Road, London SW6 4LY
Or fill in the contact form... to email a specific department